Hybristophilia “is a paraphilia of the predatory type in which sexual arousal, facilitation, and attainment of orgasm are responsive to and contingent upon being with a partner known to have committed an outrage, or crime, such as rape, murder, or armed robbery.” The term is derived from the Greek word “hybridzein,” meaning “to commit an outrage against someone,” and “philo,” meaning “having a strong affinity preference for.”
Unlike most other paraphilias, hybristophilia occurs almost exclusively in women.
In popular culture, this phenomenon is also known as “Bonnie and Clyde Syndrome“.
Many high-profile criminals, particularly those who have committed atrocious crimes, receive “fan mail” in prison which is sometimes amorous or sexual, presumably as a result of this phenomenon. In some cases, admirers of these criminals have gone on to marry the object of their affections in prison.
- The phenomenon of Charles Manson and Columbine High School shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold groupies are also examples of hybristophilia.
- One of the most infamous examples of hybristophilia is the large number of women attracted to Ted Bundy after his arrest. Bundy allegedly received hundreds of love letters from women while he was incarcerated.
- Jeffrey Dahmer, a serial killer, is said to have had amorous women sending him letters, money, and other gifts during his time in prison.
- Serial killer Richard Ramirez married a female groupie in prison who had written him over 75 letters. During his trial, dozens of women flocked to the courtroom to catch a glimpse of him.
- Rapist Josef Fritzl, who imprisoned his daughter in a basement for 24 years, received hundreds of love letters from women following his arrest.
I had been looking for this term for a long time! I have frequently noticed this odd behavior of women, and cudnt think of any obvious evo psych explanation. Recent cases of this in Scandinavia are of (perhaps) Anders Breivik, and Peter Lundin. I havent seen any evidence for Breivik love yet, but i fully expect to see/hear about it. Last case i heard of was: abcnews.go.com/Technology/james-holmes-tumblr-holmies-shock-internet/story?id=16901096#.UB2gHE1lRcQ (mentioned by someone on this group)
Erotic asphyxiation or breath control play is the intentional restriction of oxygen to the brain for sexual arousal. The sexual preference for that behavior is variously called asphyxiophilia, autoerotic asphyxia, hypoxyphilia. Colloquially, a person engaging in the activity is sometimes called a gasper. The erotic interest in asphyxiation is classified as a paraphilia in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association.
See also: Autoerotic fatality
Deaths often occur when the loss of consciousness caused by partial asphyxia leads to loss of control over the means of strangulation, resulting in continued asphyxia and death. While often asphyxiophilia is incorporated into sex with a partner, others enjoy this behaviour by themselves, making it potentially more difficult to get out of dangerous situations. Victims are often found to have rigged some sort of “rescue mechanism” that has not worked in the way they anticipated as they lost consciousness.
In some fatality cases, the body of the asphyxiophilic individual is discovered naked or with genitalia in hand, with pornographic material or sex toys present, or with evidence of having orgasmed prior to death. Bodies found at the scene of an accidental death often show evidence of other paraphilic activities, such as fetishistic cross-dressing and masochism. In cases involving teenagers at home, families may disturb the scene by “sanitizing” it, removing evidence of paraphilic activity. This can have the consequence of making the death appear to be a deliberate suicide, rather than an accident.
The great majority of known erotic asphyxial deaths are male; among all known cases in Ontario and Alberta from 1974 to 1987, only one out of 117 cases was female. Some individual cases of women with erotic asphyxia have been reported. The mean age of accidental death is mid-20s, but deaths have been reported in adolescents and in men in their 70s.
Autoerotic asphyxiation has at times been incorrectly diagnosed as murder and especially so when a partner is present. Some hospitals have teaching units specifically designed to educate doctors in the correct diagnosis of the condition.
- Sada Abe killed her lover, Kichizo Ishida, through erotic asphyxiation in 1936, proceeding to cut off his penis and testicles and carry them around with her in her handbag for a number of days. The case caused a sensation in 1930s Japan and has remained one of the most famous Japanese murder cases of all time.
what the fuck?
- Reverend Gary Aldridge, of Montgomery‘s Thorington Road Baptist Church, died June 24, 2007 from “accidental mechanical asphyxia”; he was “found hogtied, wearing two complete wet suits, including a face mask, diving gloves and slippers, rubberized underwear, and a head mask.”
A priest eh?
This subject is of some personal interest to me becus ive slept with a girl who likes this stuff. It is kinda fun, even if one has to be careful. I probably wudnt do it again, without some a prerecorded video or something that i can show in the case that she dies. In that way, i wont be sentenced for murder.
Autassassinophilia is a paraphilia in which a person is sexually aroused by the risk of being killed. The fetish may overlap with some other fetishes that risk one’s life, such as those involving drowning or choking. This does not necessarily mean the person must actually be in a life threatening situation, for many are aroused from dreams and fantasies of such.
Biastophilia (from Greek biastes, “rape” + -philia) and its Latin language-derived counterpart, raptophilia (from Latin rapere, “to seize”), also paraphilic rape, refer to a paraphilia in which sexual arousal is dependent on, or is responsive to, the act of assaulting an unconsenting person, especially a stranger.
Chremastistophilia (from Greek stem χρηματιστής chremastistes and the suffix -philia) is a paraphilia whereby sexual arousal is obtained from being robbed, being held up, or alternatively from being charged for sexual services. Kleptolagnia is its opposite, sexual arousal obtained through theft or breaking and entering.