My situation is this:
- I run linux Mint from Windows 8.1 using Virtualbox.
- I have disabled the numlock (and the other *lock keys) in Windows by rebinding my keyboard using The Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.
- Windows boots up with numlock on so my numpad works.
- In Virtualbox, Mint boots up without numlock on.
- Cannot turn it on because the key is unbound.
- Don’t want to re-enable the bind in Windows.
- Linux Mint apparently lacks an on screen keyboard solution like Windows has.
The solution I found was to install an application that can turn on numlock via the terminal using numlockx:
sudo apt-get install numlockx /usr/bin/numlockx on
Problem solved. To enable it from startup, can use:
sudo sed -i 's|^exit 0.*$|# Numlock enable\n[ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ] \&\& numlockx on\n\nexit 0|' /etc/rc.local
I haven’t tested this part yet because I have yet to restart.